Here is a rundown of the impact on our neighborhood:
School closings [UPDATED]: All NYC public schools are closed Thursday and Friday. They will reopen on Monday. Please note, they will close again on Tuesday for Election Day.
Electric Power [UPDATED]: As of Sunday morning, the number of customers in Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights without power now number in the low hundreds (down from 1,000+ powerless customers in Dyker Heights as of Friday morning).
Downed Trees And Wires: Without having faced the flooding or power outages that affected other areas of the region, this is the biggest area of impact on Bay Ridge itself. A number of trees were brought down starting on Monday morning. The City and Con Edison continue to address the situation in the neighborhood.
Mass Transit – Local Bus and Express Bus: Bus service has been restored, with detours. No fare is being collected Thursday or Friday.
Mass Transit – Subway [UPDATED]: Partial subway service has been restored. As of Sunday morning, BROOKLYN-TO-MANHATTAN TRAIN SERVICE HAS RESTORED VIA THE 2, 3, 4, D, F, & J TRAINS. Riders in our area can take the R train to Barclays Center or Jay Street and connect to the 2, 3, 4, or D. The temporary “bus bridges” from Barclays Center to Manhattan have been discontinued.
- The R-train will make all stops between 95th Street in Bay Ridge to Jay Street in Downtown Brooklyn.
- The D-train will operate from Bay Parkway in Bensonhurst through Manhattan to the Bronx.
- The N-train will not operate in Brooklyn.
- No fares are charged Thursday or Friday. Fare collection resumes at 12:00am Friday night/Saturday morning.
Verrazano Bridge: The V-Z Bridge reopened to traffic Thursday.
Bridges to Manhattan, Belt Parkway, and Brooklyn-Queens Expressway: The following changes were in effect on Thursday and Friday.
- The Brooklyn-Battery and Queens-Midtown Tunnels remain closed due to flooding.
- The other East River bridges are open, but are restricted to vehicles with 3 or more passengers (HOV-3). This is in effect Thursday, from 6am to midnight, and Friday, 6am to 5pm.
- Police checkpoints in Bay Ridge at entrance ramps to the Manhattan-bound Belt Parkway and Brooklyn-Queens Expressway will also enforce this HOV-3 restriction.
- As of Sunday morning, it is not expected that HOV-3 restrictions will be brought back on Monday, but in light of the gasoline shortage, it may not be a bad idea to carpool anyway.
City Parks and Libraries: All parks are closed until Friday. They will reopen on Saturday. City libraries will be open on Thursday, November 1.
Mobile Phone Service: It appears that mobile phone service has been restored across southwestern Brooklyn.
Postponements: The Halloween Walk festival scheduled for Wednesday, October 31 in Owl’s Head Park has been rescheduled to Saturday, November 3. The Merchants of Third Avenue Pioneer Reception scheduled for tonight at Remy has been rescheduled for Monday, November 5. The 2012 New York City Marathon has been cancelled.
Alternate Side Parking and Parking Meter Regulations: Alternate-side parking regulations are suspended on Thursday and Friday, but parking meters will be in effect.